Pilot Project: Xciters – Future science education
The overall idea of Xciters was to create an environment where interested and motivated pupils can grow. The idea was that the especially motivated pupils developed their knowledge of scientific subjects and especially their abilities to communicate science and make scientific knowledge come alive.
Older pupils were taught to communicate science to younger ones, using “peer to peer communication” and act as role models for the younger pupils. The pupils were trained to become science communicators and catalysts for the project. Xciters aimed to help increase especially girls’ interest in science.
Target age group
Students aged 10 – 15 and their teachers
- Hands-on approaches
- Courses in communication and science for teachers and pupils
- Pupil and teacher support and recommendations
- A course for teachers and pupils (together and apart) over one school year.
- A handbook for communicating science
- A website (www.xciters.dk) with different kinds of networking with possibilities for news groups and discussion forum
The focus was on communicating science. The students’ role was be to motivate others in becoming interested in science and learning about science. The teachers’ role was to integrate pupils communicating science in their curriculum.
- Questionnaires, interviews, observation and focus groups
- External evaluation partner – The Danish University of Education
For further information see the PENCIL deliverables:
D10 Assessment of Pilot Projects:
Case studies illustrating the work of each of the Pencil pilot projects (pdf, in English).
D24 Pilot Project Outcomes:
The objectives, the learning activities used, the methodology employed and the results of the pilot projects (pdf, in English).
Experimentarium, Hellerup, Denmark
The Experimentarium is Denmark’s only Science Centre. It features 300 hands-on exhibits for visitors to try, within areas of nature and technology, the environment and health. Its aims are to promote interest in natural science and technology in the community as widely as possible and to create a social and cultural meeting place between community, industry, commerce and scientists.
Tuborg Havnevej 7
Sheena Laursen, Science Consultant
Tel. +45 3925 7255
Fax +45 3927 3395
- The Danish University of Education
- The Egmont Foundation
- Maglegaards School in Charlottenlund, Denmark
- Skovhoved School in Skovshoved, Denmark
- More to be arranged during the project