Gcompris: educational software
GCompris is a free educational software suite comprising of numerous activities for children aged 2 to 10.
Linda Giannini, a kindergarten teacher member of the Xplora team and Carlo Nati, a teacher working at the Italian Ministry of Education, presented this software in a nursery school in Latina, Italy. We asked them to tell us more about this programme.
What is GCompris?
GCompris is an educational environment where pupils can learn while having fun: it proposes many game-oriented activities that are at the same time educationally focused.
The activities are divided into various categories:
- computer discovery: keyboard, mouse, different mouse gesture, etc.
- algebra: table memory, enumeration, double entry table, mirror image, etc.
- science: the canal lock, the water cycle, the submarine, electric simulation, etc.
- geography: place the country on the map
- games: chess, memory, connect 4, oware, sudoku, etc.
- reading: reading practice
- other: learn to tell time, puzzle of famous paintings, vector drawing, etc.
GCompris offers currently about 80 activities and more are under development.
What do pupils and teachers like about the software?
||GCompris is a free software, which means that you can adapt it to your own needs, improve it and most importantly, share it with your students everywhere.|
The idea of free exploration for kids is very important and should be underlined. The pupil can discover the activities alone, but the help of a parent or teacher can be needed to help the kid go further.
||Gcompris appears to be a great tool to help pupils develop their imagination and creativeness.|
In GCompris, a special attention is made to keep the user interface user-friendly and the graphics pleasant. While simple, GCompris is very addictive for the kids, even the youngest.
Where can I find the software?
GCompris won the Free Software Awards that took place in France on May 2003.
To visit the GCompris website, please click here.